home  ׀   town history  ׀   monuments   ׀  trials  ׀   monuments 3D  ׀   contact

HALEMBA

          

 

Nowadays, the district of Halemba is made of three previously separate localities: Halemba, Kłodnica and Stara Kuźnica.

Halemba

Halemba was part of Kochłowice until the end of the 17th century. The establishment of a separate village was connected with the opening of a smithy in the middle of the 15th century (the first mention of the forge can be found in a 1451 bond document). The place was named after the Kuźnik family, who were leasing the forge. In 1629, Łazarz Henkel von Donnersmarck came into possession of the lands around Bytom, thus also of Halemba. In the same year, a Gutsbezirk (Prussian administrational unit) was created in the area of Halemba, containing the forge, the manor with the fields and the woods, and also the manor’s brewery and malthouse. After 1649 Halemba started to become independent, and the name of the settlement was finally established towards the end of the 17th century. In 1718, a blast furnace was built in Halemba. A newly built church was consecrated in 1890 and four years later a cemetery was located next to it. The development of housing in Halemba was initially very slow, mainly due to the area’s connections with agriculture and blacksmithing. The process of urbanisation was also relatively slow - the main road was cobbled only in the 1890s, and asphalted in the middle of the 20th century.

Stara Kuźnica

The beginning of the settlement falls on 1394, when the princes of Racibórz Jan and Nicholas gave Henry metallurgical master area the size of half a mile in order to build the forge, the court, the tavern , mill and sawmill, along with the right to found the village under German law. Ironworks formed finally on the south bank of the river Kłodnica, while residential buildings for its employees on the north side. They evolved over time into a separate settlement - Kłodnica. Unfortunately, the village Stara Kuźnica, with promising in the fifteenth and eighteenth centuries industrial settlement, declined in the nineteenth century to the order unimportant rural agro-forestry. Although the settlement was systematically increased, the development of Stara Kuźnica did not proceed at the same pace as the adjoining Halemba

Kłodnica

The settlement in Kłodnica began with the opening of a smithy, located on the southern bank of the Kłodnica river. Its northern side was developed to accommodate cottages and a tavern. In 1629, the area was taken over by Count Henckel von Donnersmarck. In the 1743 land registry Kłodnica figures as a commune with its own village authorities. At the same time the village became industrialised. Kłodnica flourished most in the mid-war period – the town was then electrified, a fire brigade station was built, the main road paved, and a bridge was constructed to connect Kłodnica with Stara Kuźnica. In 1942, the Schaffgotsch concern began the construction of the Godula mine shaft, which was the beginnings of the Halemba colliery. By the governor’s ordinance of the 27 November 1945, the commune of Kłodnica was incorporated into the Halemba commune, later to be incorporated into Nowy Bytom, and in 1959 into the newly created Ruda Śląska.

 

THE TOURIST ROUTE

 

HISTORIC BUILDINGS IN THE DISTRICT*

*The table includes only selected historic objects from the area of district

home  ׀   town history  ׀   monuments   ׀  trials  ׀   monuments 3D  ׀   contact

 

www.rudaslaska.pl

WAŻNE: UŻYTKOWANIE WITRYNY OZNACZA ZGODĘ NA WYKORZYSTYWANIE PLIKÓW COOKIE. SZCZEGÓŁOWE INFORMACJE W POLITYCE PRYWATNOŚCI